Friday, June 29, 2012

中文 Songs and Movies !

With the help of Ben, Brandon, Nora, and an assortment of friends from school, I made my last video for NSLI-Y giving advice for next year's American students in Taiwan on my scholarship.


Check it out on Youtube here.


It's unbelievable to believe that I will be home within the next three days. I'll post a few pictures when I get home, but this is my last blog post in Taiwan. I've had such a wonderful time here, especially the last few months, and it's pretty bittersweet to think that my adventure here is practically in the epilogue. When I say goodbye to a friend, it feels like it's going to be good bye forever.  I have my last two outfits laid out, so I can pack and weigh my luggage before Monday's 7:30 am flight to Hong Kong and then New York and layover and then home.

(Everything above, I wrote before I left Taiwan, but I didn't have time to finish before I jet-setted and landed back in Nashville, TN. Right now, I'm sitting at home in the US! I want to finish this blog entry, and then write a final one to wrap up how I came home from my year in Taiwan.)

In honor of my life that's awesome in Taiwan,  I decided to post some of our favorite KTV songs and Taiwanese movies that we've seen and sung over the year. If you're interested in Taiwan or learning Chinese, enjoy!

Movies

那些年,我們一起追的女孩 (You are the Apple of My Eye) - Literally, the Chinese means "Those years, the girl we chased together". I watched this with Jubbie and one of her friends shortly after coming to Taiwan, and it does a really nice job depicting Taiwanese life. This trailer also has English subtitles.

聽說(Hear Me) - This movie was a love story of two young people who use sign-language to communicate while falling in love. There's a twist a the end, and it's a bit hard as sometimes they'll only have subtitles in the sign-language parts (which is 比較難聽得懂)

愛你一萬年-Love You 10,000 Years- Another romance. This is about a Taiwanese guy and a Japanese girl who moves to Taiwan to study Chinese, and the two fall in love. Some parts are in Japanese, but it's mostly Chinese.

海洋天堂- Ocean's Heaven - This is a Chinese version of Forest Gump with an emphasis on the father-son connection.

臥虎藏龍- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon- Kung fu movie that was pretty big in the US a few years back. The martial arts/fighting scenes are sick.

海角7號- Cape No. 7- A Japanese girl falls in love with a Taiwanese boy while putting together a band for a competition at 墾丁, but there's also a subplot using letters from a past Japanese-Taiwanese couple during the time when Taiwan was under Japanese colonization. Also has some Japanese during the movie.

不能說的秘密- Secret - Two Taiwanese musicians fall in love. What's the problem? The girl is from 20 years in the past. There's a sweet piano battle at one point in the film.

一頁台北 (Au Revoir Taipei)- A Taiwanese boy dreams of moving to France to find love; however, in the course of the film, he's able to find his own adventure and romance in Taipei. It's cute! I watched it over winter break, and it was a good way to spend some time while I was sick.

飲食男女-Eat Drink Man Woman- I watched this movie before I came to Taiwan last summer. It's about a father and his three daughters living together. There's quite a bit of cooking, and this trailer is completely in English (though the movie is in Chinese).

痞子英雄 Black and White- A Taiwanese cop movie based on a TV show with the same name. It's really funny, especially the scenes where foreigners do martial arts and speak English (with french accents). Nora and I saw it together in theaters, and I bought a season of the TV show as well.

These are all movies that I watched within the last year. I'd highly recommend checking out movies if you're interested in learning Chinese, as it's much more interesting than sitting with a text book, and it can really improve your listening comprehension. At first, use English subtitles, but eventually I think it's better to use Chinese one, even if that means you might not understand everything.  


賽德克·巴萊-Seediq Bale, Warriors of the Rainbow- I went to a concert with the music from Seediq Bale, but  I never saw the film. I heard it's awesome, and it's about Taiwan's aboriginal people and how they fought against the Japanese occupation of Taiwan during their colonization period. There are two parts and lots of blood and epic battles. Lot's of good movies (especially romances), so check it out! 



MUSIC!!! KTV Songs田馥甄 - 魔鬼中的天使- The Devil in the Angel- Ben sang this when we were at KTV. 
霍元甲- Fearless- This song is by Jay Chou ( 周杰倫). I love the Beijing Opera combined with rap;  I have a Taiwanese friend who can sing this really well. 
韋禮安-還是會 (Still Will)- I really love this song. It's lyrics talk about how a girl hasn't given the singer a lot of time to be together. The last part of the music video is cute. 

南拳媽媽-家- Home- About family, it's nice. 

黃小琥-沒那麼簡單- It's not that easy- This song talks about how it's not easy to love someone. The first comment on youtube says  "期中考...沒那麼簡單......crod1997 2 months ago 125  
"Midterm exams...it's not that easy"

雨天- Rainy Day- My tutors helped me translate the lyrics to this song first semester. 

陳柏霖-我不會喜歡你 I can't like you- Though the music sounds depressing, the hidden meaning here is that I can't like you, but I can love you. 

周杰倫 - 黑色幽默 Black Humor- Another song by Jay Chou. 

Soler-陌生人 Stranger- This song is fast paced, a bit rock-ish. It talks about how a girl doesn't understand him and how they're becoming strangers (你看不到,你聽不到!) 我也很喜歡這首歌!

MP魔幻力量 [ 不按牌理出牌 ] I love this song, but I have no idea what it's about. 

首播=羅志祥 Show [有我在 Count on Me ] The men in this music video aren't unattractive. There are some lyrics in English as well as Chinese.

五月天 -離開地球表面 by Mayday- 五月天 (or Mayday) is a really famous band, and this song is really catchy. 

中國話 Chinese  This song is by S.H.E., a Taiwanese girl band that's really famous and has been around for a while. It's a rap that talks about how the world is learning Chinese and it's pretty catchy. 


李佳薇 煎熬(Jess Lee - Suffering) - This music video is really 噁心. The girl in it is suffering because 
of a failed relationship, and the music video is super nasty. 

Sorry if parts of this blog post are in capital letters. I don't know how to change it. 


I'm now back in the US, and I'll write a final blog post wrapping up the last of my time in 台灣 this 週末。 For now, enjoy 我的中文建議!


No comments:

Post a Comment