Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Acupuncture


Just Another Breakfast in Kaohsiung:
Nutella toast, blueberry flavored oreos, tea

Recent highlights: seeing the Taiwanese film, “You’re the Apple of My Eye” with Jubbie and her friend Jennifer, eating Family Mart Bueno Bars, trying the Night Market’s stinky tofu for the first time, realizing Starbucks takes American Express and serves frappacinos (green tea flavored is 很好), discovering the great curry restaurant near Wenzao. (So much of this is food related. I’m going to document a sample of the delicious, different dishes I’ve eaten and share. 我愛包子.)

Green Tea Frappacino

Because I’m in a continued battle with my knee, a woman in the Chinese Language Center at Wenzao offered to take me a to Taiwanese doctor after school this week. I had my surgery about 5 months ago, but it had been particularly sore (and ice hadn’t helped) that day, so I agreed to go to the acupuncture doctor. Accompanied by Abby the RD and the Taiwanese teacher, we walked to the office at 4:oopm. I paid the medical fee and sat. (Our student group will actually qualify for Taiwanese medical insurance after living here for 4 months. If I had this universal insurance, the medical visit would have been 100 NT dollars cheaper.) Almost immediately, the doctor invited us into his office, and I explained my ACL surgery and pain with the help of my two adult translators. When everyone was on the same page, he asked me if I wanted to try acupuncture. I’d already paid to be there, so I said yes.
They say I have great legs...

Should I go into details? The 10 minutes of needle in my calf didn’t hurt as much as pulling the needle out (it was a bit like an IV) and the pre-needle, aggressive, left-cheek massage. It was painful, and after the doctor recommended 6 sessions to help with my knee. I’m doubt I’ll go again, but my health problem gave me an interesting experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment