Sunday, November 13, 2011

Taiwanese Friend On Us

Nora, Me, Diego, Diego's Mom at his Spanish Graduation Play

The friends I've made so far make Taiwanese life infinitely richer. Within our Chinese center classes, our NSLIY group has met a variety of world travelers that draw from Germany, Spain, Japan, Korea, France, China, Belgium, Mexico, Canada, and Australia (and I'm sure I've forgotten some). In the last few weeks, our small, but lovely, NSLIY group (Ben, Brandon, Nora, Me) has become even closer, as we build history together here in Taiwan. Outside our Chinese classes, there are hundreds of Taiwanese students, and we're lucky to be living with our host siblings. I don't mean to brag, but I'm pretty certain I got the best host family. Ya Shu Mammy is wonderful. Jubbie is awesome.

To give another perspective on my Taiwanese life, I asked our friend, Diego/Daniel/王冠予, (phonetically, Wang Guan Yu), to write his perspective on his new American friends. Enjoy:


American Hot Friends  (How I Met White People)
         I'm writing this because there's a hot american girl who wants me to dedicate a blog post for her and contribute something to her fancy taiwanese life record. I didn't even know that i am having some white people as my friend 'cause i usually get super nervous when white people are around me, and my english knowledge can go away in no time. Okay, this is how it all started, ladies and gentlemen.

My name is Daniel Wang and I'm a 19-year-old taiwanese boy who's been studying in Wenzao for five years. One day i was doing my part time job at wenzao like a postman delivering mails and other stuffs between different offices and that's when i saw the white people group.

Okay, it wasn't actually the first time i saw them. I saw them on the wenzao website 'cause they were like super big to us so that went on the front page and had a story for them. They were dressing in wenzao junior uniforms which is so not cool, i later on told them never to wear them again in their life.

So i knew nora one day when i was taking my regular bus to work, on which she takes it everyday for her chinese class. first of all i don't see americans everyday in my life so i soon spotted her and recognized that she was the girl in the frontpage. I mean, this is like the first time i see a girl can grow up so tall and so White! Thats so cool! We became friends soon and i knew Ben, Mack and jubbie, who's mack's host sister.

Speaking of so getting american friends, there are so many fun things to say. first of all there are…

         1. American don't really hold chopsticks well and like falling everything from the bowl.
         2. It's so easy to recognize them. Their skin tone are so white!
         3. They speak English! I mean really saying English!
         4. When they are trying to do fake chinese by doing some stupid voices, it's really funny.
       5. Never talk to them before you are really sure of what you are saying. They laugh at your   accent so much that i couldn't even resist myself from laughing. But why, my accent is hot.

Okay, and this is seriously now. I’ve been watching American films since I was little, and they teach me a lot of things when I didn’t even know that they were bad.

Since I have these American friends, I sometimes say “Damn”, “pussy” and something’s really bad while I don’t even know it. So one day when I was out with these American friends in a department store near to our school. We were having chicken and (that’s when I found out how true is my impression to Americans) cause I don’t speak English a lot till I met them, so I usually have to think before I speak. Suddenly they started to laugh when I say “TAKE IT” while I was serving a chicken skin to McKenzie. I was seriously asking her to take that skin but in fact I was saying something with sexual implication. It was so creepy.

Oh yeah and speaking about “eat out” I didn’t even know that It was bad. I thought I meant something like someone eats a lot and eat the whole house or something, like an adjective to describe a fat guy who eats a lot, and it turns out that it’s totally not. You guys know the meaning.
        
The other thing that i found interesting is that They Learn Chinese. The first time i learned that they are learning calligraphy, Chinese chess and other things scares me.  I mean, personally I hated writing with Chinese Pens (what they usually call brush, which i prefer saying Pens) when i was little cause it makes me so messy every time i try it. And it's even funnier to see foreigners writing Chinese characters with creepy hand positions. (I saw a foreign guy writing it before it was so funny to see lol)

I still don't know why they laugh at my accent so much though.

Okay, so in sum, It's been really funny to have American friends 'cause i used to get so nervous having white people around me, but they are pretty cool.  I’ll have more introductions to the intruders at Wenzao so keep following McKenzie’s blog. Bye now!

最後, 美國人真的好白啊!


Diego and I on the train


   

2 comments:

  1. Daniel I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the new american students keep the posts coming as you may have a future as a writer for MAD magazine (Nora and Mackenzie can explain what it is)!

    Nora's Dad (Paul)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi nora's dad glad that you liked it I never thought that this article could reach you and yeah me and nora are thinking doing a blog titled"Asian eyes" Hahaha

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete